1st DepEd GAD Convention
Amontay Beach Resort, Amontay, Nasipit Agusan del Norte
March 6, 2019
By Adrilene May J. Castaňos, Ph.D.
Day 1 : March 6, 2010
9: 30 AM | Opening Program
- Started at 9:30 AM, hosted by Ms. Ivy Metrofanus
- ESSD Chief Manuel Caberte conveyed the Statement of Purpose.
- ARD Fidela Rosas delivered the Opening Remarks. She noted the sign language gesture of the emcee as a laudable effort for inclusivity. ARD Rosas hoped that participants get better understanding on human rights and equality through the training. She added that Amontay’s away-from-the-city location will ensure that no one misses a session and be completely involved in the training.
- Mae Castanos acknowledged the participants by letting each delegation yell a hashtag, followed by a briefing on house rules
- RD Bacang, Chief of the RGADC, delivered her Keynote Speech.
- Plaque of Appreciation handed to RD Bacang
10:30 AM to 12: 30 PM | First Plenary Session: Dr. Marita C. Pimentel
- Discussed Gender Sensitivity Awareness, Gender Mainstreaming and GAD Planning and Budgeting in overview
Tackled various gender issues faced by both men and women in the society
- Highlighted DepEd’s Agenda/Directions on Gender Mainstreaming and the GFPS role
12:30-1:30PM | LUNCH
1:30- 2:30 PM: Research Presentation by Mrs. Fe M. Puspus
- Discussed the level of gender mainstreaming in Butuan City (Level 2); research methodology, and significant results of the study
- Distributed a copy of a manual (her research output) for every division office for their reference and feedback
2:45-3:00 PM | DO 32 s. 2017 by Dr. Adrilene Mae J. Castanos
3:00-5:00 PM | HGDG by Mr. Paul Abarca of NEDA
- Elaborated on the 10 elements of a gender-responsive project or program
5:00-6:00 PM | Online Safety and Child Sexual Abuse Prevention by JPIC
- Shared recent statistics on internet and social media use of Filipinos
- Revealed cases of child sexual abuse and exploitation in the Philippines
- Discussed current laws to protect children from criminal activities
* End of Day 1 sessions. Reminded participants of the break out sessions on the next day, with 3-4 pax per division per class.
6:00 PM: Dinner and socials
Day 2 March 7, 2019
Class 1 GAD Planning and Budgeting –
Lead Facilitator: Marita C. Pimentel
Facilitator: Dr. Annaliza Doloricon
Group Output: DepEd Caraga GAD Agenda as basis for the 3-year GPB
All GFPS of the region and the 12 SDOs shall be functional by 2022 as per DO 27. s. 2013
- At least 50% of the regular PAPs shall be Gender responsive by 2022 based on HGDG.
- 100% of the workforce of the region capacitated on the basic training on GAD.
- Presence of a GAD Centers in RO and SDOs.
Class 2: Gender Mainstreaming Evaluation Framework Workshop
Lead Facilitator: Atty. Allen Gasulas
Facilitator: Fe M. Puspus
GMEF Workshop Output
- Lack of initial policies on GAD
- Lack of policies to mainstream GAD in the organization
- No GAD initiatives and capacity development activities
Possible PAPs as solutions:
- Create and/ Activate GFPS in schools
- Disseminate policies to internal and external stakeholders
- Conduct relevant ( GAD) training
Class 3: Harmonized Gender and Development Guidelines Workshop
Lead Facilitator: Paul Abarca
Facilitators: Atty Salvador Acedilla, Ms. Farrah Coniate
A training workshop on gender assessment using the tool Harmonized Gender and Development Guidelines ( HGDG) specifically the Expanded Box 7: Combined Generic Checklists for Project Identification and Design
- The participants engaged in different Case Analysis Processes using HGDG during workshops
- An open forum followed the workshops
- The training-workshop were facilitated by the members of the GAD Focal Point System (GFPS) from the Schools Division Office (SDO) of Surigao City namely: Farrah C. Coniate, Project Development Officer – I concurrent Education Program Specialist and Atty. Salavador V. Acedilla, Public Schools District Supervisor.
- Paul Abarca, Chief of the Technical Division of the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) and a PCW certified National Resource pool for Gender and Development, made rationalizations on all cases adhering to the standards duly given by the Philippine Commission on Women (PCW)
Class 4: Online Safety and Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Workshop
Facilitators: Mr. Joeruce O. Butcon, Pstr. Andrie Calaque
- The participants were shown different cases of child sexual abuse. They also trained on how to teach children deal with abusive situations and how to avoid such situations.
- The facilitators of the workshop on Online Safety and Child Sexual Abuse prevention were Mr. Joeruce O. Butcon and Andrie Calaque, both Office the Information, Advocacy and Training officers of ( JPIC-IDC, Inc. ) Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation – Integrated Development Center, Inc. – a non- government organization (NGO) working closely with DepEd in the prevention of child sexual abuse and promotion of online safety of DepEd learners specifically in the Divisions of Siargao, Surigao City, and Surigao Norte as part of their Cinemobile Project 4.